Twenty to thirty minutes of physical activity each day helps to promote brain and bodily health.
Being physically active has many benefits including:
- Lowering your risk of cancer recurrence and guarding against other diseases like heart disease, diabetes, and high blood pressure
- Increasing the flow of oxygen to your brain
- Reducing your fatigue
- Reducing your stress
- Improving your mood
- Increasing a chemical that helps with thinking
Physical activity can include activities like going for a brisk walk, dancing, doing aerobics, or riding a bike. Many people think they need a gym membership to physically exercise, but that is not true. Simple alternatives to sitting can help you to be physically active each day:
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator
- Walk or bike to the store instead of driving
- Ride an elliptical or stationary bike while watching TV instead of sitting on the couch
- Park your car at the back of the parking lot instead of near the entrance of a building
- Plan active dates with your significant other instead of going for dinner and a movie
Physical activity should be part of your daily routine. Along with a balanced diet, physical activity can help you to decrease excess body fat, maintain a healthy weight, and improve your thinking.